Monday, July 13, 2009

Rick Riordan, the Sunken Place, and the Princess Bride

Well, well, well. I am most impressed-- once again-- with Rick Riordan's work. Big Red Tequila was GREAT--- muy bien, vato.

...and for you Elmore Leonard fans out there-- Riordan is definitely influenced (or at least seemingly so) by the Man. Looks like I'll be back in the library looking for The Widower's Two-Step sometime in the near future.

After finishing Big Red Tequila, we stopped by the library to check out books for my sons' trip to the grandparents house. While there, my older one picked up M.T. Anderson's The Game of Sunken Places. Talk about keep-you-on-your-toes-what-in-the-world-will-be-around-the-next-corner adventure writing! Oh, my! M.T. should definitely keep eating his broccoli while humming (take a peek at his link above). This little story is a pretty quick read, and full of wonderfully imaginative, page-turning events. Thanks, son, for that suggestion. I passed it on to the younger kiddo to read while away from home. Anderson's made it to my "need to read more by this author" list.

My current book of choice is The Princess Bride by William Goldman. This man is a literary genius!* I have ALWAYS been a fan of The Princess Bride, the movie. Since the first time my dear hubby (boyfriend at the time) shared it with me, it has been my fairy tale-- phooey with Cinderella**, and Snow White, and Belle, and all those other lovelies for which stories are written, Buttercup and Westley are it for me. In fact, I named my new Jeep Buttercup (much to the groaning dismay of all the males in the house).

So last week, I found a gift card to one of the chain book stores in the area (a wonderful gift from one of my students to her reading teacher!) and went in, not really looking for anything in particular, and found the thirtieth anniversary edition of The Princess Bride.

"Why not?" I thought.

Now, I'm thinking, "What took me so long?"

Goldman writes the story under the pretense of abridging a version of Buttercup's and Westley's tale written by S. Morgenstern. He makes personal remarks and comments about growing up with this story told to him by his father, and sharing it with his own son. He shares opinions given to him by his wife and "scholars" about his particular omissions and how he handles the work, that he chose to shorten for the benefit of his own son. The deal is, though:

There is no S. Morgenstern version of The Princess Bride. It's a ruse! Goldman writes it all.

What a fantastic literary technique-- truly imaginative.

Plus, there's sword fighting, pirates, a giant, torture, revenge, and true love. Who could ask for anything more in a story?

I'm about halfway through the book now; I'm sure the second half will be as good as the first, if not better. Sure, there's a FEW minor differences (so far) between the movie and the book, but nothing of serious consequence. Readers and movie lovers will agree-- it's a good thing Mr. Goldman wrote the screenplay as well.***

Looks like I have another one to add to my "need to read more by this author" list.

Perhaps I'll work on compiling that and share with you next.







*Not everyone I read is as great as these last choices of mine-- I've just been lucky this summer. Last summer, I was not so lucky. If you'd like particulars, send me an email and I'll share.

** I DO love Cinder Edna by Ellen Jackson, though. She's much more sensible.

*** William Goldman trivia: Goldman also wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Plus, a whole bunch of other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment